Since we are a natural nail spa, we get asked a lot if that means our polish will chip faster or not last as long compared to more popular brands. The answer is an enthusiastic, "Not at all!" At Noktivo we give you the same performance, along with a higher quality of service without the toxic chemicals. Because honestly, you don't need em' to get an amazing mani/ pedi. The key to a lasting manicure of course starts with a quality nail polish line, including top and base coat. Which is why we use the Vegan and 5-Free polish hailing from Southern California, SpaRitual. It gets excellent wear time and durability, ousting their dirty counterparts in the long haul. Of course we can't promise it will hold up if you are getting your manicure on moving day, but, we do have some quick tips from the pros to help make your manicure last a little bit longer.
1. Keep your cuticles and sides of your nails hydrated with an oil or balm rich in Vitamin E. As your nail grows, keeping the area around your nail bed moisturized will allow the polish to smoothly grow forward and not 'catch' on dry skin or hangnails along the way. We love Lulu Blossom Dreamsicle Body Balm enriched with shea butter and grapeseed oil, $10.
2. Wear gloves when cleaning to protect your manicure. Nails expand when submerged in water so the polish will chip as the nail bed becomes larger and then shrinks back. If you needed an excuse not to do dishes, there you go.
3. Wash your hands with a saponified oil soap like castile and stay away from products with alcohol listed as an ingredient, such as hand-santitizers. These dry out the skin and ruin the topcoat. Try Zoe Organics Bath Wash an old world style soap made from oils of coconut, sunflower, castor and mandarin, $12.
4. Reapply a thin layer of topcoat on the second or third day after your manicure to reseal and enhance shine.
5. Use your fingers to type, tap and tie, not your nails. Using your nails as tools is a great idea if your living life as castaway, which if you're reading this, it's pretty safe to assume your not. So save your nails (and your manicure!) by using the pads of your fingers to pickup, open and type things.
Have another tip to make a manicure last? Leave us yours in the comments below.
The team from Noktivo shares tips, tricks and tidbits for greening your beauty routine. <3