"Well hello Summer! It took you long enough, but we are so happy to see you here in Chicago. With the new season comes a new skincare regiment and our amazing esthetician Natalia, has an important tip for all you beauties when searching for new products this Summer. See you soon!"
- Jenny, Owner
When choosing skincare products, you definitely want to look for something with as few chemicals as possible. Things like parabens and sulfates can be very detrimental to your health. Everything you put on your skin gets absorbed into your body, and then has to be filtered out! Here are a few of the most common, and most toxic ingredients that can be found in skin and haircare products:
1.) Parabens (anything with propyl, ethyl, butyl, or methyl in the name) are used as preservatives, but cause hormone imbalances and have been found in breast cancer tumors.
2.) Sulfates are chemical foaming agents. They are what give soap and shampoo a rich lather. But they are also used in car washes and engine degreasers. They can cause skin irritation as well as other health problems, and they strip your skin of the natural, healthy oils. Use products with natural foaming agents such as saponified plant oils.
3.) Benzoyl Peroxide is used in acne treatment products and medication, but has been shown to possibly produce DNA damage and promote tumor growth, and is also a skin, eye, and respiratory irritant. Use a product with naturally derived salicylic acid from willow tree or wintergreen, or tea tree oil to combat breakouts.
4.) Sunscreen chemicals such as PABA, avobenzone, benzphenone, and ethoxycinnamate are free radical generators, disrupt hormones, and and can damage DNA and lead to cancer. Use products with zinc oxide or titanium dioxide instead.
5.) Mineral Oil is a very common ingredient in skincare, makeup, and haircare products. It is derived from petroleum, and can have cancer causing properties. It aggravates acne and negatively impacts normal skin functions. It seals off the skin and doesn't allow it to breathe, trapping dirt and bacteria in. It also disrupts hormone flow and can disrupt your immune system with long-term use.
These are just a few of the most common ingredients to avoid. Always be aware of what you are putting ON your body, as well as IN your body. Your skin is the largest organ, and works in synchronization with other systems. Keep it healthy!
- Natalia Mitchell
Organic Esthetician at Noktivo Non-Toxic Spa & Beauty Boutique
Yes, it IS possible to create one of a kind looks and fun nail designs with non-toxic polish. Take a look at our gallery to get inspired for your next manicure service or find a look on Pinterest and bring in your inspiration. We can't guarantee the recreation of the Last Supper, but we can have some fun with this season's hottest accessory. Spring is almost here, welcome it in green beauty style!
little gifts that bring big smiles
There is no reason anyone should get coal this season with these amazing green beauty treats all for under $15. Give green and save green this holiday!
1. Lulu Blossom White Icing Sugar Scrub Melt - A decadent bath & shower bar that exfoliates and moisturizes. Bonus? You and your bathroom will smell like a frosted vanilla cupcake! $10
2. Astrida Naturals Bay Rum Shea Butter Stick (For Him or Her)- This push pop style moisturizer stick is exactly what your skin is craving. It's travel friendly size makes it easy to take anywhere and the essential oil fragrance will have you transported to a sunny beach sipping on a Mai Tai. $9
3. CALM Skincare Buttery Bath Melts - Who doesn't love a nice warm bath? Especially when it involves anything lavender. These bath melts blend rose flowers and cocoa butter that are especially good for Winter months when our skin needs some extra hydration. $14
4. Noktivo Rosemary Mint Soaps - Two mini soaps for double the fun. A scent we know and love for clarifying, relaxing and treating the whole body. $5
5. One Love Organics LOVE Beauty Bag - Gorgeous canvas tote bag with zipper for all your green beauty essentials. Show the LOVE. $15
6. SPAritual Vegan Nail Polish - We want to kiss these colors under the Mistletoe! Sparkling, Shiny and all that Glitters for the holiday fashionistas. SPAritual polishes are free of DBP, Toluene, Formaldehyde and Formaldehyde Resin. $12 each
7. CALM Skincare LashLuxe Mascara - Eureka! An all-natural alternative to the perfect mascara. Anti-oxidant and anti-microbial extracts of Oregano and Thyme nourish the lashes without weighing them down or clumping. $14
8. One Love Organics Brand New Day Exfoliant & Masque - Brand new year, brand new beauty. This gentle exfoliant that doubles as a mask, (can we just say how much we love multitasking products?) will refresh skin while keeping moisture locked in. An absolute miracle potion. $12
9. Lulu Blossom More Ginger Please Solid Perfume - Purse friendly fragrance that hydrates as it releases the clean fragrance of lemon, nutmeg, black currant, amber and of course ginger. Loved by many noses. $9
To see our full selection of gifts, stocking stuffers and green beauty treats for the holidays, please visit our Green Spa and Beauty Boutique, Noktivo, 4831 N. Damen Avenue, Chicago, IL 60625. Complimentary gift wrapping available. To shop online or to purchase a gift card please visit our Green Beauty E-Boutique: www.noktivo.com/shop
Did you know? The European Union has banned 1,300 chemicals from consumer products while the U.S.A has only banned 11. I'm sure your first question was the same as ours seven years ago, why? I wish we had the answer. The amount of choices from lotion to shampoo to face creams to nail polish, is truly overwhelming. And they come with a slew of ingredients that are impossible to pronounce. What researchers are learning, is that some of these chemicals are toxic to our bodies and our environment. So if they know that, why are they still allowed in our products? Well it's complicated. So much research goes into making a product and scientists, like many of us, like things in yes or no answers. Does it cause cancer? No. Does it damage the environment? Yes. But not all chemicals give immediate answers like that. Nor do we have the research budget to test every single one, that is also due to NO regulation, but that's another conversation. Right now it's an experiment, that is slowly starting to reveal it's side effects. And since we don't have data heavily leaning to one side to make the decision for us, these toxic ingredients are legally allowed to stay. For now.
Our combined industry experience, years of research and personal testimonies, have led us to the conclusion that it's better to just not use these chemicals in the first place. At Noktivo we prefer to air on the side of caution. For three main reasons:
We feel very confident that it is only a matter of time before the entire beauty industry gets a makeover. And we'll be ready to celebrate wearing our little black dress and lead-free lipstick!
the Noktivo team
The team from Noktivo shares tips, tricks and tidbits for greening your beauty routine. <3